13 November 2007

What is the new Atypical ROP ?

Dr. Azad sent me an invitation to write a chapter on atypical ROP. I asked him about his intent and this was the response.

Dear Mike,
Thanks for accepting to write the chapter. The Scope of the chapter includes differential diseases and atpycal ROP excluding AP ROP. This topic is regarding the acute phase.

with best wishes,

Raj

Prof. (Dr.) Rajvardhan Azad, MD, FRCSed, FAMS
Hony. General Secretary
All India Ophthalmological Society (AIOS)
Professor of Ophthalmology
Dr. Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, A.I.I.M.S., New Delhi-29(India)

I have about two weeks to write this chapter and think that I will do some of the work on the blog. It would be great to have input about this. Initially, I was disappointed about not having AP-ROP, but in fact that is already out there. (I should start to post my APROP collection for public viewing. It is not all flat neovacularization by any means. Later.)

Now I am excited to discuss my observations in the new atypical ROP. ROP of course is a dynamic disease. We solve one problem and another layer or group becomes the new focus.
Starting the outline on the new atypical disease it is probably useful to review the context of ROP

Part A Differential Diagnoses
  1. differential of peripheral avascular retina
  2. differential of infantile traction retina detachment,
  3. differential of plus disease
Part B atypical cases and groups
  1. Unusual ROP behavior: progression despite lack of plus disease
  2. The septic, NEC patient that does not respond to laser
  3. ROP and dysmorphia
  4. Combined diseases
  5. Extremely rare presentations (beyond AP-ROP)
I am very open and interested about other categories of cases that do not hit me just now. Please send your thought. If you have a great photo or case that you can send that will be great. India is an incredible big and populous country. This is a special opportunity to contribute.

No comments: