28 November 2007

Another Case of Atypical ROP

I have been overly busy with family for thanksgiving and then surgery and clinic, therefore, I have not posted much. However, since atypical ROP is on my mind, I have to discuss one of the children I saw in the office today although I will not have photographs until next week.

A 46 week PMA patient ex-premature infant born at 1556 gms and I believe that the gestational age was 34 weeks. He was noted to have morning glory syndrome in the right eye (65% sure). The question that brought him to my office was about the location of the macula and my sense of the visual potential.

Indeed, it was a beautiful example of morning glory with a deeply excavated peripapillary zone and a bit of "glial" tissue on the cup area. The big surprise was that while the normal left eye was fully vascularized to the ora serrata, the right eye had Stage 2 ROP in Zone 2 without plus disease. I hope to have photographs next week, but wanted to include this case of atypical ROP.

This case joins a group dysmorphic babies that have atypical ROP. I suggest screening for dysmorphic babies up to 2000 gms.






No comments: